Sunday, October 23, 2005

To be or not to be? That is the question!!

The last couple of days have been an inner war with myself. Its been quite interesting. To join the military or not to join. The other day I decided to donate to charity, it made me feel good about helping someone else, and then the memories started flooding back. When I was in the 7th grade my parents and I were watching a television show about women pilots in combat, thats when I decided that indeed I wanted to be in the military. Now, the dream, well...I should call them very strong feelings have come back. Every child has a dream to be a firefighter, policeman, architect, teacher, lawyer, doctor, or something else. The dream to be in the military has never faded as with most. Its still very much a part of my everday thinking.

What will I be when I grow up is a question I often ask myself, and the other day I answered it. I will go to school for the next couple of years to be a draftsman, yes ladies and gentlemen a draftsman, all the while letting Brooke get a little older. Then after finishing school and maybe working for 6 months or so joining either the AirForce or the Army. Its been an inner battle for the past couple of days, it is a dream that is not going away but the dream is getting stronger. I guess in a way you could say its haunting me.

My family comes from a long line of military men. My grandfather went to war, not sure which one. My great uncle served two tours of duty in the Vietnam war and was a POW, not something that is spoken of. Two of my cousins are JAG Lawyers. One of them had just left the Pentagon when the plane hit, thus going back inside to see if he could help any. My cousin has gone and served in Iraq once and says he'll be going next year. Thats all on my mom's side. I'm not sure about my dads side.

This week has been really stressful due to all of this. Please if you have any comments please make sure to leave them.

To join or not to join? That is the question!!

No comments: