Wednesday, September 11, 2019

18 Years Lt. Charles Joseph Margiotta

18 years ago the tragedy of 9/11 shook our very nation to its core. We saw a nation come together and help their neighbors and others they didn’t even know.  We hugged people we’d never met and offered them peace. We simply came together. What a shame that it takes tragedy to bring others together in a time of need. We should always be a good neighbor, a thoughtful stranger, a Good Samaritan, and a great friend.

Every year I honor a man, a hero, firefighter, brother, son, husband, and father.  I think of him often even though I’d never met him.  Back in 2006 I put myself down to honor a hero every year on 9/11 and I will continue to do so as long as I’m able.

Lt. Charles (Chuck) Margiotta ran into the twin towers not knowing if he’d ever see his family again. He was doing his job, the very job he had signed up for, and dedicated his life to.  He was a 20 year FDNY veteran. According to the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation he had a degree from Brown University and often spent his off time doubling as a stuntman in several films, one of those being Hannibal. He also spent his time being a private investigator, soccer coach, and a substitute teacher. When Chuck heard about the World Trade Center being hit, he hopped in his truck and raced to the nearest fire station on Staten Island.

What is a hero? According to Mirriam-Webster a hero is defined as a person admired for achievements and noble qualities and someone who shows great courage.  It takes great courage to be a First Responder.  He had noble qualities according to friends and family, but Chuck would never consider himself a hero.

This year I struggle to find the words to say about Chuck, many of the words I can say have already been spoken by his loved ones. I did vow to his brother, Mike, to learn something new about him every year.

To you Chuck, I raise my glass of Texas sweet tea and say thank you. Thank you for serving and giving your life for others so that they may live. Thank you for being selfless, caring, and funny.

If you’d like to read my first blog post about Lt. Margiotta you can do so here.
Last years post: Lt. Charles Margiotta
If you’d like to learn more about Chuck you may do so at his families memorial website, you may also donate to his scholarship fund there as well.

Until we meet Lt. Charles Margiotta I will leave you with this old Irish Blessing:
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

No comments: