Monday, June 04, 2007

Ignorance is Bliss

Why oh why? I’ve been prepared to accept this kind of thing for the rest of my life, and dumb comments like this. However, I was not expecting them from someone I have known forever and love as a friend very much. I was talking to him on the phone this weekend, as he called to tell my mom thank you for something she gave her. I was telling him about Joe and he looked on myspace and found that yes, he is Hispanic. Now with all racist remarks aside, please know that he treats me like I should be treated and I hope that he can say the same for me. He is a true gentleman. Anyway, this person that I know, we’ll refer to him as “Jack”. So Jack proceeds to make racist comments and implies that Joe only listens to Tejano music, which is not true, and begins to imply that just because he’s Hispanic he does certain things. I proceeded to let him have it because I will not put up with that. He also asks me why I can’t date white guys or guys within my race. WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MATTER. We all have personal preferences and I would date Joe if he were white. Skin color doesn’t matter to me. I told him that Brooke was part Puerto Rican and if he wanted to judge Joe he was going to be judging my daughter and I don’t stand for that at all. Why do some people have to be so ignorant? I don’t understand. Why can’t people just be happy that he treats me right and loves me regardless of my little quirks, and besides that WHO IS HE TO JUDGE ME AND MY DECISIONS? He’s 16 years old and hasn’t even learned to live life, he’s still in that little High School mentality, and that’s frustrating. I guess that if I’m willing to spend the rest of my life with him and have children with him, I suppose that I should get used to the inappropriate comments and just start blowing me off. The deal is that if you judge someone of a different race, you are ultimately judging Brooke.

No comments: