Friday, June 09, 2006

For my friend Megan the day after her birthday:


This is my beautiful friend Megan. She has been my best friend since the 1st grade. Let’s do some calculations, so for 16 years we have been inseparable. When I was pregnant she was my biggest supporter. She even carried around the pregnancy test for me and we saw an old classmate in Wal-Mart that particular night. She didn’t care. She was the first to get the call after the first test. She reassured me to keep taking them, since after all 3 did come to a box. Better be safe than sorry. She went with me to my first OBGYN appointment, and she was a shoulder that I cried on after it was all over. I cried today because yesterday was her birthday, she is now the big 22. Welcome to the 22 club. She has been there for me for so long that it’s hard to not be able to see her. When she lived in Lubbock, if she came home we were not apart but to sleep. I would also make weekend trips up there while being pregnant to spend time with her, because I was dealing with depression and she was my get away. Friday mornings I would get up, get dressed and decide that at 5 I would be on my way to Lubbock, a few phone calls later and I was packed and ready to hit the road. This



continued until it became too uncomfortable to travel, and then I went no where. Toward the end of my pregnancy I made one last trip up there to see that girl, and it was long overdue. She was the main hostess of my first baby shower, and a great one at that. We disagreed a lot and she would tell you that yes, I was a real bitch during this time, but she didn’t give me up as a friend. We dealt accordingly knowing that all too soon this time would pass. She was there with me every step of the way, encouraging me and guiding me down this seemingly long and endless road. She was the first of my friends to hold the baby, and that was a joyous moment, although she was scared that she would somehow harm this little fragile baby, we called Cornelius for sooo long. I just hope that I have been as great of a friend to her as she’s been to me. I LOVE THIS GIRL so much, it’s hard to imagine my life without her. She’s the only one who has really stuck around after having Brooke. I know that she is my one TRUE friend, and that no matter what we go through together, she will always be there.

1 comment:

Megan Gooding said...

Thanks for the nice words, buddy....